Dietary supplements have become part of life for many considering that foods don’t always provide all the nutrients and compounds needed by the body. Spirulina, the blue-green algae found in sea water and fresh water has gained popularity as a nutrient supplement because of the numerous health benefits it has. It is now being produced commercially in different parts of the world and it can be taken in flake, tablet or powder form; you can therefore choose a form that you are most comfortable with in terms of consuming. It is however important that you follow the directions of use provided on your supplement.
Considering that it is algae most people would be hesitant to trying it out, but it is a food that is rich in protein, minerals and vitamins making it very helpful to health. It is generally a food that helps with detoxifying the body, but there are so many other benefits that you stand to enjoy when you make the supplement part of your diet.
1. It prevents visual problems – This is because the algae have carotenes and xanthophyll which protect part of the retina known as the macula. When you take the supplement, you will manage to prevent macular degeneration that is age related.
2. It contains beneficial chlorophyll – The chlorophyll is what gives this super food its green color and it acts as an antioxidant and detoxifier. It does not only provide magnesium in absorbable form, but also helps in building red blood cells.
3. It reduces allergic inflammation – This is thanks to the blue pigmented protein phycocyanin that is found in spirulina. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and therefore besides reducing allergic inflammation, it also keeps nerve cells, kidneys and liver protected against oxidative damage.
4. It improves resistance against disease, fatigue and weakness – The beta carotene in spirulina activates the natural defense mechanism thus greatly improving resistance against disease, fatigue and weakness. It therefore makes a very detox considering that the body feels tired and weak when there is a lack of efficient food circulation. It helps cleanse the body and prevent toxin buildup which leads to lots of issues.
5. It aids weight reduction – This supplement helps in weight reduction because it is easily digested compared to meat and soya protein. It may contain higher fat content compared to meat and soya but it’s easy to digest nature gives it an advantage, making it a better choice for those looking to lose weight.
Other health benefits of this nutrient supplement are brain protection, acts as poisoning antidote, fights pre-menstrual symptoms and eliminates candida as well as helps in management of HIV. Spirulina is also very helpful in regulating blood pressure, cholesterol and improving muscle endurance and strength. When you take it on a regular basis, you will have healthier skin and will generally feel stronger because of its ability to boost the immune system. It also improves academic performance and memory and will preserve bone health too.
When buying spirulina as a nutrient supplement to boost your health, it is important that you choose a product which is a toxin free, pathogen free and it’s organic in every sense. This is the only way you will be able to reap all the benefits.